Musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs) are caused mainly due to workplace pains and strains these are basically of three types Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI), Cumulative Trauma Disorder (CTD) also Repetitive Motion Injury (RMI). These kinds of injuries affect tendons, ligaments, muscles and also nerves. These injuries are caused due to repetitive, or forceful movements of bones, joints and soft tissues. Employees can find symptoms of pain, numbness, discomfort and weakness in movements. Some of suck strains and pains are the following:
- Back Pain (low back strain, etc.)
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS)
- Muscle Strain
- Tennis Elbow (epicondylitis)
- Shoulder Pain (shoulder myalgia)
- Rotator Cuff Syndrome
Why workplace Pains and Strain are important?
Pains and strains are serious disabling factors for Ontario Workers. Since pain and strain in muscles can lead to cause other dangerous injuries if taken lightly. The consequences are vast and can affect every aspects of the employee’s life. These are most important reason for lost-time claims as per the reports of Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB), causing both direct and indirect costs to Ontario employers.
Your eyes and ears are your best MSD risk identification tools.
In many cases it is easy to see the risks in your workplace. Here are some things to look for:
- Work that places the elbows above shoulder height, or the hands behind the body.
- Tasks that call for frequent bending or twisting of the neck.
- Work requiring frequent or prolonged grasping and holding objects, or frequent wrist movements.
- Work that requires frequent lifting of items from below knee height or above the shoulders.
- Work requiring frequent bending or twisting at the waist.
- Tasks that involve carrying, lifting, pushing or pulling heavy or awkward loads.
- Spending long periods with a body part held in any one position without movement.
Involving workers and listening to their concerns is critical when it comes to preventing Strain/Sprain in the workplace.
Workers know their jobs and they know what parts of the job cause them pain, discomfort or fatigue and frustration.
Being a part of Canadian health care industry for more than a decade enable us with the knowledge and competencies required to help employers improve their safety standards.
We at Sara Family Rehab Have Registered Physiotherapist & Massage Therapist to treat Strain /Sprain Injuries. Further appointment Call us at 905.497.4550 or visit www.sararehab.com